Antonio Conte appeared to hint he was told to leave Tanguy Ndombele out of the Tottenham squad to face Chelsea in the second-leg of the Carabao Cup semi-final by the club’s hierarchy. The sulky Italian, who saw his side beaten 1-0 on the night and 3-0 on aggregate by his former side, delivered a shady interview with Sky Sports in which he displayed clear frustration with the current situation at Spurs.
Conte met with Daniel Levy and Fabio Paratici earlier this week to discuss January transfers but so far, the club’s activity in the market has been of a minimum.
Instead, it looks like Tottenham could be set to clear some of the deadwood within their squad.
One player who is now facing an uncertain future is Ndombele, who headed straight down the tunnel after being subbed in Sunday’s 3-1 win over Morecambe in the FA Cup.
Seemingly, as a result of his actions, Ndombele was not part of the match day squad to face Chelsea.
When asked to explain the decision, Conte appeared to hint the call was made by those upstairs at the club, although he refused to go into details.
He said: “It was a technical decision, but before to take the decision, I don’t take the decision if I don’t consult the club, there is the club line and I have to follow the club line.”
READ MORE: Tottenham vs Chelsea halted as fans alert referee to medical emergency in crowd