Prince George and Princess Charlotte’s attendance at the Queen’s funeral is believed to have been the idea of their parents Prince William and Kate, the Prince and Princess of Wales. The doting mother and father thought it was important for their nine-year-old and seven-year-old children to attend this historic occasion and be able to bid their final farewell to the late sovereign, The Sun wrote.
This comes just hours after sources said the attendance of the second-in-line to the throne at the funeral was “under discussion” and suggested George could be a reassuring view for mourners across the country.
One insider told the Mail on Sunday: “Courtiers are keen for Prince George to be at the funeral in some capacity, if only to reassure the nation of the order of succession.”
Another palace source said: “It’s currently under discussion. No decision has been made yet.”
Kate and William’s eldest son and daughter will be among the youngest mourners at today state funeral and likely the only great-grandchildren of the Queen in attendance.
In scenes surely to remind the grieving public of Princess Diana’s funeral, George and Charlotte will be part of the cortege walking behind the Queen’s coffin from Westminster Hall to Westminster Abbey.
King Charles III and Queen Camilla will be leading the procession, followed by Princess Anne and her husband Vice Admiral Sir Timothy Laurence.
Prince Andrew and Prince Edward will follow through, walking right in front of the Prince and Princess of Wales and their two children.
The Waleses will be followed by the Duke and Duchess of Sussex and other members of the Royal Family.
READ MORE: King Charles III tipped to use Prince George ‘strategically’
After the procession, which will take the Queen’s casket to Westminster Abbey’s West Gage at 10.52am, the royals will join the rest of the congregation, in time for the service to begin at 11am.
Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis were last seen in pictures shared on the morning of September 8, when they began their first day of school at Lambrook, in Berkshire.
The children donned their new school uniforms as they walked hand in hand with their parents.
Hours later, Buckingham Palace announced the sad news of the Queen’s death.
Kate and William’s children haven’t been seen in public since.
Other royal great-grandchildren, however, made an appearance at Westminster Hall last week.
On Friday evening, as the Queen’s four children were holding a 15-minute vigil, other royal relatives appeared on the Hall’s balcony.
Among them, were Zara and Mike Tindall’s two daughters, Mia and Lena.
Peter Phillips’ daughters Isla and Savannah were also there to pay tribute to the late 96-year-old.
While George, Charlotte and Louis have been grieving their “Gan Gan” behind closed doors so far, William and Kate have stepped out of their new home in Windsor to meet mourners.
During one of these walkabouts, the Prince of Wales admitted walking behind his grandmother’s coffin during Wednesday’s procession from Buckingham Palace to Westminster Hall reminded him of Princess Diana’s funeral.
Well-wisher Jane Wells, who met William on Thursday at Sandringham where she went to lay flowers for the Queen, claimed the heir to the throne described as “difficult” walking behind the Queen’s casket during the procession from Buckingham Palace to Westminster Hall.
She said: “He told us yesterday had been particularly difficult and following the coffin had reminded him of his mother’s funeral, of Diana.
“He said it had been very difficult.”
The heir to the throne famously walked, aged 15, behind the coffin of the late Princess of Wales on the day of her funeral in September 1997, surrounded by his brother Prince Harry, father Charles, grandfather Prince Philip and uncle Charles Spencer.
Years later, he conceded that walk was “one of the hardest things I’ve ever done”.