Lewis Hamilton has hit back at the FIA’s new jewellery crackdown ahead of the Monaco Grand Prix, claiming ‘too much time’ had been spent discussing the issue. Hamilton’s two-race exemption was expected to come to an end this weekend meaning he would have faced penalties.
But, reports suggest the FIA have extended his exemption until the end of June. Speaking Friday morning, Hamilton said: “There’s way too much time and energy been given to this.
“I’ve said everything I feel I need to say. I’ve taken out the studs out every time I’ve been out in the car.”
Hamilton was initially given a two-race exemption for the Miami and Spanish Grands Prix after meeting with the FIA’s medical team. It was claimed Hamilton had pieces of jewellery which were difficult to remove straight away which is why he was given some extra races to comply with the guidelines.
READ MORE: Lewis Hamilton offered new solution to jewellery row by Damon Hill
The FIA has highlighted the possible safety concerns of wearing jewellery behind the wheel. The governing body claimed jewellery can ‘hinder medical interventions’ while adding it could cause ‘delay’ to treatments.
The FIA added jewellery ‘can reduce the protection’ of safety equipment. It said: “Metallic objects, such as jewellery, in contact with the skin can reduce heat transmission protection and thus may increase the risk of burn injuries in the event of a fire.”
Race director Niels Wittich has even warned drivers could be checked before the start of a race to ensure they were not wearing anything which is banned. In his pre-event notes in Australia, Wittich said: “The wearing of jewellery in the form of body piercing or metal neck chains is prohibited during the competition and may therefore be checked before the start.”