Meghan Markle and Prince Harry are “asking for big problems with King Charles” with their Netflix documentary, a commentator believes. PR and reputation management expert Eric Schiffer claimed the glimpses of the six-episode programme focused on the Sussexes’ life, love and struggles within the Firm provided so far by the entertainment giant are “filling the powder keg of additional TNT with the King”.
Asked how the Royal Family can defend itself from the claims and attacks possibly included in the docu-series titled Harry & Meghan, the California-based expert told Express.co.uk: “Charles has already set many boundaries that I think will help because Harry knows that unless he plays the game and respects the King and the family he will continue to be sort of an outside pariah with very limited ties that could benefit him and Meghan.
“And I think it will come down to ultimately the facts, what the accusations are.”
Speaking about the first trailer for the docu-series released by Netflix on Thursday, he added: “The trailer is filling the powder keg of additional TNT with the King. This is not a way to rebuild a relationship with the Crown.
“I think they are asking for big problems that ultimately don’t serve their interests.
“The King is not going to be happy with it, as he shouldn’t. [Without royal links] They become far less relevant.
“And the King has already made moves to highlight that lack of relevancy from how Harry was positioned at the funeral to other moves that have communicated that to the public.”
In accordance with the pecking order and the Sussexes’ non-senior status within the Firm, Prince Harry and Meghan sat in the second row during the funeral service held at Westminster Abbey.
As he hasn’t been a senior member of the Firm since the spring of 2020, Harry was not allowed to wear his military uniform at the service.
READ MORE: Meghan and Harry’s claim to ‘$100m advance’ dismantled
However, his father granted him the honour to wear it for the grandchildren’s vigil held at Westminster Hall two days before the Queen’s funeral.
Prince Harry has also seen his role as a Counsellor of State slipping away from him, as the Houses of Parliament are debating the Counsellors of State Bill which would allow King Charles to select as his stands-in Prince Edward and Princess Anne.
While Harry, Prince Andrew and Princess Beatrice would still be part of the pool of royals that can be chosen to carry out some constitutional duties in the King’s absence, it is unlikely they would ever be selected with two more working royals available to cover for the sovereign.
Netflix has so far released two teasers ahead of the release of the first half of Harry & Meghan on December 8.
In the first trailer, shared on Thursday as the Prince and Princess of Wales were visiting Boston, the Duke of Sussex can be heard saying while images of himself and Meghan flash in front of the screen: “No one sees what’s happening behind the closed doors.”
After a picture showing Meghan seemingly distraught is followed by a snap of senior royals gathered at Westminster Abbey in 2019 for the Commonwealth Day service, the Duke added: “I had to do everything I could do protect my family.”
Later in the trailer, Meghan tells her interviewer: “When the stakes are this high, doesn’t it make more sense to hear our story from us?”
Another trailer, released on Monday, promised to make damaging allegations against the Firm.
As the Duke spoke of a “hierarchy” within the Royal Family, he said: “there’s leaking, but there’s also planting of stories. It’s a dirty game.”