Saturday, May 21, 2022
HomeTv & ShowOti Mabuse to host new musical matchmaking show Romeo & Duet

Oti Mabuse to host new musical matchmaking show Romeo & Duet


Oti Mabuse has been signed up as the host of new musical matchmaking show Romeo & Duet.

The ITV series will see singletons stand on a balcony as they are serenaded by potential love matches.

However, while they are able to hear the dulcet tones of their possible partners, they will not be able to see them, with the singers given one song to entice the contestant down from the balcony so they can meet face-to-face.

New beginnings: Oti Mabuse, 31, has been signed up as the host of new musical matchmaking show Romeo & Duet

New beginnings: Oti Mabuse, 31, has been signed up as the host of new musical matchmaking show Romeo & Duet

Any pairs will head off on a duet-date to learn a song to perform together in an ultimate romantic love battle against the other couples, with one duo being crowned the winners.

Romeo & Duet will do into production in this month and will air on ITV and ITV Hub later this year.

Oti said: ‘I’m so excited to be part of Romeo & Duet. It’s always been a dream of mine to host so this is a real pinch me moment, and it’s a blessing for me to finally be able to share this news. I honestly can’t wait to get started! 

Career highlights: The news comes after Oti was confirmed as the newest judge on the Dancing On Ice panel last month

Career highlights: The news comes after Oti was confirmed as the newest judge on the Dancing On Ice panel last month

‘It’s about love with a little bit of a twist and showcase of talent, it’s fresh and fun, and I hope everyone’s going to love it as much as I do.’

The news comes after Oti, 31, was confirmed as the newest judge on the Dancing On Ice panel last month.

She will appear alongside fellow judges Ashley Banjo, 33, Jayne Torvill. 64, and Christopher Dean, 63, when the series launches on January 16.

New role: Oti will appear on Dancing On Ice alongside fellow judges Ashley Banjo, Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean when the show launches on January 16

New role: Oti will appear on Dancing On Ice alongside fellow judges Ashley Banjo, Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean when the show launches on January 16

The Strictly Come Dancing star will replace John Barrowman, 54, after he was axed following claims he exposed himself on the set of Doctor Who. 

On taking on the new role, she said: ‘As a professional dancer I have always had so much respect for the skating professionals on Dancing On Ice.

‘It is an exceptional skill that is also so beautiful to watch. I’m feeling really enthusiastic about joining the panel alongside the legendary Torvill and Dean and Ashley Banjo.  

Twinkle toes: Oti was a professional dancer on Strictly Come Dancing, appearing with Ugo Monye (pictured) last year and winning the show twice previously

Twinkle toes: Oti was a professional dancer on Strictly Come Dancing, appearing with Ugo Monye (pictured) last year and winning the show twice previously

‘I can’t wait to see the celebrities thrive as they learn how to ice-skate and to champion the professional skaters as they create incredible choreography. 

‘Having been on both sides of the table, I know a little bit about how they’ll be feeling. It’s more than an honour and I already can’t wait to join the family.’  

Oti was part of the Strictly professional line-up for six years and was the only pro to have won the show two years running – first with Kelvin Fletcher in 2019 and then with Bill Bailey in 2020. 

The television personality also acted as a judge on The Masked Dancer last year.  

Talented: Oti has been part of the Strictly professional line-up for six years and was also on the judging panel for The Masked Dancer last year (pictured 2021)

Talented: Oti has been part of the Strictly professional line-up for six years and was also on the judging panel for The Masked Dancer last year (pictured 2021)

Oti will be taking the Dancing On Ice judging seat that was vacated by John, after he was axed last year for exposing himself on set.

The actor, 54, issued an apology in May for the historic incidents, but said they were ‘exaggerated’.

The TV star described his past actions as ‘silly behaviour’ and insisted on Lorraine last year he would ‘never do it now’ after previously admitting to ‘tomfoolery’ while working on Doctor Who, where he began playing Captain Jack Harkness in 2005 and spin-off series Torchwood a year later.

When questioned by the host if he felt his behaviour had ‘crossed the line’, John agreed that if it were to happen today then it would have, but was quick to accuse people of turning his actions into ‘sexual harassment’.   

No charges were brought against the media personality after allegations surfaced in May following more serious allegations of sexual harassment against his Doctor Who co-star Noel Clarke. 

He explained: ‘I think that if it was now, it would be crossing the line. I think that something that happened 15 years ago, it was bawdy behaviour, silly behaviour, it was being done in the confines of the set, and we were like a family, working together. 

‘The fact that it was stories that I’ve already told. I’ve been telling them for years. I haven’t hidden anything, they’ve been exaggerated, and they’ve tried to turn them into sexual harassment which it absolutely is not.’ 

Replacement: Oti will be taking the Dancing On Ice judging seat that was vacated by John Barrowman, after he was axed earlier last year

Replacement: Oti will be taking the Dancing On Ice judging seat that was vacated by John Barrowman, after he was axed earlier last year 

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Recent Comments