Saturday, December 3, 2022
HomeTv & ShowRebekah Vardy's agent 'in talks to reveal truth behind Wagatha Christie case...

Rebekah Vardy's agent 'in talks to reveal truth behind Wagatha Christie case for TV special'


Rebekah Vardy’s agent Caroline Watt is reportedly in talks to reveal all in a one-off TV documentary, after being offered £300,000.

The former air hostess is allegedly being pursued by streaming giants, Discovery, Netflix and Apple, who want her to speak on-the-record about her version of events.

Caroline found herself at the centre of the recent Wagatha Christie trial after her former client sensationally blamed her for selling stories on Coleen Rooney, but claimed to know nothing about the deals. 

'She knows what really ­happened': Rebekah Vardy's agent Caroline Watt (left) is 'in talks to reveal the truth behind the Wagatha Christie case for a TV special after being offered £300k'

‘She knows what really ­happened’: Rebekah Vardy’s agent Caroline Watt (left) is ‘in talks to reveal the truth behind the Wagatha Christie case for a TV special after being offered £300k’

She also drew attention after her mobile phone filled with evidence that ended up at the bottom of the North Sea.

Though, she did not give evidence at the High Court trial after a psychiatrist ruled she was unfit to appear and Rebekah subsequently lost the legal battle.

A source told The Sun: ‘Caroline was at the very heart of this case. Anything she says would be explosive and potentially very damaging for both Becky and Coleen.

‘Caroline’s mental health was hit hard by the stress of the court case. She never courted fame and was behind the scenes for a reason. To find herself at the centre of the case, the subject of ridicule and criticism, was extremely difficult to take.

Plans: Rebekah is said to be weighing up TV deals to share her side of the story in a new documentary following the lost legal battle

Plans: Rebekah is said to be weighing up TV deals to share her side of the story in a new documentary following the lost legal battle

‘She knows what really ­happened and is mulling over the various approaches. This could provide her with the opportunity to set the record straight once and for all.’

Despite the big-money offer, the insider claimed Caroline’s family and friends have collectively advised her against giving an interview as she remains ‘fragile’.

Another source told the newspaper that Rebekah is convinced Caroline would ‘never hurt her’ and still has ‘a lot of respect for her’.

MailOnline has contacted Rebekah’s representatives for comment, as well as Discovery Networks UK, Netflix UK and Apple, and has attempted to reach Caroline.

Confirmed: Coleen has signed a multimillion-pound deal with Disney+ for the rights to a tell-all Wagatha Christie documentary

Confirmed: Coleen has signed a multimillion-pound deal with Disney+ for the rights to a tell-all Wagatha Christie documentary

It has also been alleged that the wife of Jamie Vardy has been approached by TV companies following the explosive trial, after Coleen signed a multi ­million-pound deal with Disney+. 

Rebekah is reportedly torn between two options as she sets out plans to ‘document the emotional turmoil’ she felt throughout proceedings.

A source told the Mirror: ‘The show will document her emotional turmoil both before, during and after her court case, which is ongoing to this day.’

The insider confirmed that the documentary wouldn’t feature any trial footage, adding: ‘Becky always refused to allow cameras to follow her during the libel case, unlike Coleen.’

MailOnline reached out to Rebekah’s representatives for comment at the time.

Documentary: The Sun previously reported that the programme - which will follow the story of her bitter libel court battle with fellow WAG Rebekah - will be made by Lorton Entertainment, which released Wayne's documentary this year

Documentary: The Sun previously reported that the programme – which will follow the story of her bitter libel court battle with fellow WAG Rebekah – will be made by Lorton Entertainment, which released Wayne’s documentary this year

The streaming giants, who beat Netflix, Amazon Prime and Discovery to secure the new three-part series, confirmed at the Edinburgh TV Festival they had won the exclusive rights to Coleen’s story.

She is set to earn more than her former England footballer husband Wayne, also 36, after securing the deal following a bidding war with the other streaming giants.

Describing the project they said in their announcement: ‘The three-part series will take viewers from the circumstances that led to her infamous Instagram post that ‘broke the Internet’ all the way to Coleen being a successful defendant in one of the UK’s highest-profile High Court defamation cases brought against her by Rebekah Vardy.

‘In a story for our times, Wagatha Christie will reveal how fiercely determined and resilient Coleen had to be in order to protect her family from the challenges presented by the traditional and social media landscapes.’

Money: The WAG, 36, is set to earn more than her former England footballer husband Wayne, also 36, after securing the deal following a bidding war with the other streaming giants

Money: The WAG, 36, is set to earn more than her former England footballer husband Wayne, also 36, after securing the deal following a bidding war with the other streaming giants

The series will take viewers back to the first social media post that initiated the story, all the way through to the High Court case, and will feature interviews with family, friends and key players involved in the trial.

It will also look at how Coleen has been in the public spotlight for two decades, having begun dating footballer husband Wayne when they were teenagers.

Sean Doyle, Disney+ director of unscripted content, said: ‘Well what a story, first and and foremost. Everything we do has to be an amazing story that has amazing twists and turns in it.

The Sun previously reported that the programme – which will follow the story of her bitter libel court battle with fellow WAG Rebekah- will be made by Lorton Entertainment, which released Wayne’s documentary this year.

Coleen won their Wagatha Christie libel battle victory last month – leaving Rebekah with a multi-million pound sum to pay her. 

Drama: Coleen won their Wagatha Christie libel battle victory last month - leaving Rebekah with a multi-million pound sum to pay her

Drama: Coleen won their Wagatha Christie libel battle victory last month – leaving Rebekah with a multi-million pound sum to pay her

Wayne – who manages soccer team DC United in Washington – earns a reported £800,000 a year in the role. 

A source told The Sun: ‘This is a massive deal for Coleen — in every sense. For the first time in 20 years, she will be the main breadwinner.

‘She is also getting across her own side of the story in terms of Wagatha Christie. Since her first damning social media post outing Rebekah, she has remained steadfastly silent.

 ‘Now the public will see first hand the toll this whole case took on her, and her family — and why she took the action she took.’

Coleen and Rebekah are set for one last dramatic High Court showdown over who will foot the multi-million-pound bill for their costly ‘Wagatha Christie’ libel battle. 

Sources close to Coleen – who won the case last month – told The Mail on Sunday she will fight to make sure Rebekah pays the full amount, estimated to be up to £3million. 

Usually a winning party will still have to pay about 30 per cent of the costs. 

But Coleen’s team claim the judge’s damning judgment that Becky did sell stories about her to The Sun newspaper means it is ‘inconceivable’ that she won’t be made to pay the full amount. 

Mrs Justice Steyn ruled last month that Becky and her agent Caroline Watt had leaked stories about Coleen, wife of ex-England skipper Wayne. 

Tough: Rebekah sued her former friend for libel over a now-famous social media post in which Coleen described setting up a 'sting operation' by posting fake stories to selected followers on her private Instagram account to uncover who was leaking stories about her to The Sun (pictured together at Euro 2016)

Tough: Rebekah sued her former friend for libel over a now-famous social media post in which Coleen described setting up a ‘sting operation’ by posting fake stories to selected followers on her private Instagram account to uncover who was leaking stories about her to The Sun (pictured together at Euro 2016) 

Rebekah sued her former friend for libel over a now-famous social media post in which Coleen described setting up a ‘sting operation’ by posting fake stories to selected followers on her private Instagram account to uncover who was leaking stories about her to The Sun. 

The ‘big reveal’ post in October 2019 ended: ‘It’s… Rebekah Vardy’s account.’ 

After Rebekah brought legal action, Coleen offered her a ‘drop hands’ offer, which meant they would both walk away, paying their own costs. She also suggested they make a charity donation. 

But Rebekah declined, leading to a costly High Court trial. Now, after her victory, Coleen wants her rival to pay up.

A source close to Coleen said: ‘Coleen didn’t want this to happen. She knew the money would be better spent on so many other things but she won’t be letting Rebekah get away with not paying the full costs. 

‘She tried to settle this early on but Rebekah wouldn’t have it. And if you look at the outlining of the judgment, it is inconceivable that a judge wouldn’t agree she will pay them in full. Let’s not forget, this action was brought by Rebekah and she lost spectacularly.’ 

During a preliminary hearing in March last year, the costs were estimated at £1.3million. 

Now, after the case’s two-week High Court hearing, reports have claimed the total could be £3million. 

Rebekah’s barrister, Hugh Tomlinson QC, reportedly charges £10,000 a day, while his opposite number, David Sherborne, charges about £8,000. 

There is speculation that Rebekah and her husband, Leicester City striker Jamie, may have to sell their Portuguese villa to pay the legal bill. 

Continued support: The Sun claims that the tell-all show will be made by Lorton Entertainment, which released Wayne's documentary this year (pictured)

Continued support: The Sun claims that the tell-all show will be made by Lorton Entertainment, which released Wayne’s documentary this year (pictured) 

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Recent Comments