Saturday, October 1, 2022
HomeTv & ShowSimon Cowell's AGT Extreme series AXED after Jonathan Goodwin was paralysed

Simon Cowell's AGT Extreme series AXED after Jonathan Goodwin was paralysed


Simon Cowell’s AGT Extreme ‘AXED after Jonathan Goodwin was paralysed in freak accident – as TV mogul plans new spin-off focused on magicians’

Simon Cowell’s America’s Got Talent Extreme series has been reportedly been axed by NBC after stuntman Jonathan Goodwin was left paralysed in freak accident. 

Simon, 62, was said to be horrified by the accident which took place when a fireball stunt went wrong and now ‘insurance is proving difficult.’ 

A source told The Sun: ‘Simon is constantly looking at ways to revamp his shows and AGT: Extreme had a number of difficulties.

Moving on: Simon Cowell’s AGT Extreme has reportedly been AXED after Jonathan Goodwin was paralysed for life in a freak fireball accident

Moving on: Simon Cowell’s AGT Extreme has reportedly been AXED after Jonathan Goodwin was paralysed for life in a freak fireball accident

‘Insurance was proving difficult, which threw a spanner in the works. Jonathan’s incident during rehearsals was harrowing.

He was a total professional but things went wrong and he plunged 30ft while trying to escape from a straitjacket as he hung upside down in mid-air. Simon was horrified. He’s now focused on other projects.’

TV mogul Simon is now thought to be focusing on slightly safer specials for the Got Talent franchise, including a new spin-off which will feature magicians.

Nearly died twice: Jonathan's AGT stunt went horribly wrong and lead to him being hospitalized for four months - pictured in his hospital bed - he came home in May

Nearly died twice: Jonathan’s AGT stunt went horribly wrong and lead to him being hospitalized for four months – pictured in his hospital bed – he came home in May

Shocking: Jonathan was seriously injured after the dangerous stunt where he attempted to escape from a straight jacket while being hung upside down 30 feet in the air in between two suspended cars which exploded on impact

Stunt: The stunt was filmed at the Atlanta Motor Speedway, where Goodwin was suspended 70 feet in the air

Stunt: The stunt was filmed at the Atlanta Motor Speedway, where Goodwin was suspended 70 feet in the air

Back in May, Jonathan’s actress fiancée Amanda Abbington revealed Jonathan had been left paralysed for life after his stunt went wrong.

The Brit, 42, was in hospital for four months as a result and only came home in February.

Jonathan was seriously injured after performing the dangerous stunt in October 2021 where he attempted to escape from a straight jacket while being hung upside down 30 feet in the air in between two suspended cars.

Abbington herself explained that the timing was misjudged and the cars were released too early, causing him to be crushed between them as they caught on fire.

Love: His fiancée Amanda Abbington told the Out to Lunch podcast with Jay Rayner: 'He fell 30 feet and lost a kidney, broke both shoulder blades, shattered both legs. Third degree burns, broke his spine and severed his spinal cord and, nearly died'

Love: His fiancée Amanda Abbington told the Out to Lunch podcast with Jay Rayner: ‘He fell 30 feet and lost a kidney, broke both shoulder blades, shattered both legs. Third degree burns, broke his spine and severed his spinal cord and, nearly died’

She said Jonathan, who also appeared on the 2019 season of Britain’s Got Talent, will never recover from the accident at the Atlanta Motor Speedway in Georgia which saw him nearly die twice.

Amanda told the Out to Lunch podcast with Jay Rayner: ‘He fell 30 feet and lost a kidney, broke both shoulder blades, shattered both legs.

‘Third degree burns, broke his spine and severed his spinal cord and, nearly died. And then on the operating table, he nearly died again.’

Shocking: Jonathan later admitted he had 'dodged the worst' but had a 'long road to recovery' ahead of him

Shocking: Jonathan later admitted he had ‘dodged the worst’ but had a ‘long road to recovery’ ahead of him

Long road to recovery: Jonathan spent four months in hospital with his injuries

Long road to recovery: Jonathan spent four months in hospital with his injuries 

The Sherlock actress confirmed it is unlikely Jonathan will walk again, saying: ‘He’s paralysed now he’s in a wheelchair.’

Moreover, Simon’s latest project Walk The Line has also been silently laid to rest.

The show, hosted by Maya Jama and which featured Gary Barlow and Dawn French on the judging panel, only ran for one series on ITV last autumn.

MailOnline has contacted spokespersons for Simon Cowell, BGT and NBC for more information,  

Back to the drawing board@ ITV's new talent show Walk The Line - hosted by Maya Jama - has also apparently been shelved

Back to the drawing [email protected] ITV’s new talent show Walk The Line – hosted by Maya Jama – has also apparently been shelved 

Advertisement

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Recent Comments