Greg Norman has revealed LIV Golf Investments made a “mind-blowingly enormous” offer for Tiger Woods to join its breakaway league. The Saudi-funded LIV Golf Series gets underway at the Centurion Club in Hertfordshire on Thursday after months of speculation, with Phil Mickelson now taking part.
Mickelson confirmed on Monday that he’s setting sail for the new competition, which is expected to rival the PGA Tour. Former world No. 1 Dustin Johnson is also due to tee off in St. Albans this week after accepting an offer of “around £100million” to leave golf’s establishment behind, per the Telegraph.
As astonishing as that offer sounds, it appears Woods waved on an even grander sum in order to remain with the PGA. That’s after Greg Norman—who serves as chief executive for LIV Golf Investments—told the Washington Post just how much money Woods turned down.
The 15-time major champion’s contract offer was “mind-blowingly enormous; we’re talking about high nine digits,” said Norman. It was estimated earlier this year that Woods has earned north of $1.7billion (£1.4bn) from golf over the course of his 26-year career, meaning such a sum isn’t quite as significant to him as it would be to most other stars.
Dustin Johnson’s Saudi league decision raises huge fears – ‘Turn golf upside down’